Mental Health Blog Day is May 14, 2014! We hope you’ll join us by publishing a post on your blog that touches on mental health.
Mental health: it’s the way your thoughts, feelings, and behaviors affect your life. Having good mental health helps you make better decisions and deal with daily stressors at home, at work, and in your family. Sometimes, you may need help from a professional to take care of your mental health, especially if feelings or problems seem beyond your control.
Congress designated May as Mental Health Month in 1949 to illustrate the importance of mental health issues to the overall health and well-being of American citizens. Each year, bloggers will join APA for a Mental Health Month Blog Day to educate the public about mental health, decrease stigma about mental illness, and discuss strategies for making lasting lifestyle and behavior changes that promote overall health and wellness.
You can help people recognize the importance of good mental health, overcome stigma, and seek out professional mental health services when needed? Learn More
Checkout some of the great blogs that contributed to past years’ events;
- 2012 Mental Health Month Blog Party round up
- 2011 Mental Health Month Blog Party round-up
- 2010 Mental Health Month Blog Party round-up
The blog day for 2014 is May 14.
Send us a message if you want to take part in it this year and help spread the word.
Some facts about mental health to get you started
- One in four Americans experiences a mental health disorder every year, according to the National Institutes of Mental Health.
- Chronic stress can affect both our physical and psychological well-being by causing a variety of problems including anxiety, insomnia, muscle pain, high blood pressure and a weakened immune system.
- Research published in the Journal of Health and Social Behavior (Vol. 41, No. 2) finds that 68 percent of Americans do not want someone with a mental illness marrying into their family and 58 percent do not want people with mental illness in their workplaces.