Follow this chicken salad recipe to a T to and what you’ll make is a delicious quick meal. See, chicken salad is one of the simplest and easy-to-go-to dishes around. Really!
This is a classic recipe – tender chicken mixed with a selection of flavors and add-ins. It goes well with a bed of lettuce, rolled up in a tortilla or a sandwich, making it a mouth-watering meal you’ll enjoy eating for lunch or dinner.
So, How Do You Make the Salad?
Simple! You’ll start by adding seasonings, mayonnaise, celery (you also use chestnuts), almonds and green onions. Water chestnuts are great for giving the salad a tasty crunch. Add a little bit of Greek yogurt to lighten up your mixture. The yogurt also brings forth a delicious tangy flavor. We’ll talk about that in a short while.
Note – You can layer up your salad with tomatoes, cucumbers, and lettuce if you want to make a perfect sandwich.
What Goes Into the Chicken Salad?
The beauty of making a chicken salad is that you change the ingredients based on what’s available in your fridge. Be sure to maintain the ratio the same as the recipe below. Feel free to swap out the add-ins and seasonings.
- Sliced grape, ¼ cup raisins, and ½ teaspoon curry powder
- Cranberries, diced celery and ½ cup shredded apple (works well with spinach)
- Dill, chopped pickles and a single slice of cheddar cheese
- ½ teaspoon dry mustard powder, diced ham, and shredded Swiss cheese
- 3 to 4 lbs of chicken (skin on thighs, bone-in, and breasts). You will require about 4 cups
- 2 tablespoonful of olive oil
- 1 cup of almonds
- 3 thinly sliced scallions
- 1 cup of mayonnaise
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 1 tablespoonful of Kosher salt
- 3 scallions
How to Prepare
- Start by preheating your oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit
- Take the chicken pieces and rub the olive oil all over them. Sprinkle the pepper and salt
- Bake for about 45 to 55 minutes. Or, you can wait until the internal temperature gets to 165 degrees Fahrenheit. Use an instant-read thermometer to determine the heat
- Remove the chicken from the oven and allow it some time to cool. Peel the skin then pull the meat from the bone. Chop roughly
- Mix the chicken, almonds, grapes, celery, dill, scallions and parsley in a large bowl
- Mix the mayonnaise, mustard, lemon, salt, and pepper in a medium-sized bowl
- Add the mayonnaise/mustard mixture to the chicken. Stir gently until mixed to perfection
- Cover with a plastic wrap and refrigerate for about one hour
Serve with a bed of sliced tomatoes, green and avocado. Or, you can serve on bread with green lettuce. Be sure to add more topping to change the taste
How Long Does This Chicken Salad Last?
You can keep your salad in the fridge for 3 to 5 days (keep in mind that the chicken has to be fresh the day you prepare it). Also, don’t forget to refrigerate any unused portions as soon as you can.
Can You Freeze the Salad?
Unfortunately, mayonnaise doesn’t freeze well because of the dressing used in this recipe. Make sure that you finely chop your chicken seasonings such as water chestnuts if you’d like a ready to go chicken salad. Freeze the diced chicken in single serving portions.
How Healthy is this Chicken Salad Recipe
This classic chicken salad recipe is low on calorie and high on flavor. It may contain up to 145 calories, 186 milligrams of sodium for every ½ cup serving and 11 grams of fat. Now, that’s a healthy recipe right there.